Efficient, power-dense, flexible solutions for advanced ship propulsion
Leonardo DRS motor and drive systems provide advantages in flexibility, modularity, and commonality – supporting requirements for growing power efficiency demands and lower emissions on future ships.
We provide solutions for integrated electric drive (IED) and hybrid electric drive (HED) ship propulsion systems. HED arrangements can be gear-mounted or shaft-mounted depending on the ship’s architecture.
Our marine electric propulsion systems are constructed with permanent magnet (PM) technology that is extremely efficient and delivers remarkable power density, impressive durability, and easier maintainability when compared to induction or wound rotor synchronous machines. Any propulsion system that leverages electric drive will lower emissions. However, PM technology is uniquely suited to provide the maximum range of electric drive benefits for ship propulsion and power for ship systems.
During replenishment at sea, the time spent alongside the re-fueling ship puts both ships at greater risk. HED propulsion systems reduce refueling requirements providing more time on station and less time at risk.
Benefits of Our E-Drive Technology
- Prime movers operate at most efficient, constant speed
- Controllable pitch propellers may also be eliminated
- Power generation equipment can be switched on and off as needed
- Flexibility in locating the prime movers across the platform (IED)
- Additional redundancy on the drive shaft (HED)
- Ability to send the power where needed (IED)
- No need to align prime movers with the shafting (IED)
- For all-electric configurations noise and vibration are improved by elimination of the main reduction gear
- Shaft-mounted hybrid electric drive makes it possible to decouple the reduction gear
- Both configurations benefit from prime movers running at a constant speed
- Reduction of the total number of prime movers to maintain
- Possible elimination of controllable pitch propellers and their support systems
- Less wear and tear on prime movers as they are operated under less stressful conditions
Machine Configuration Examples
For hybrid electric drive architectures requiring a shaft-mounted motor, Leonardo DRS offers power-dense, low speed PM motors with a large air gap that allow for a bearing-less configuration, simplifying the propulsion shaft.
The lightweight, compact size of Leonardo DRS PM motors is ideal for hybrid electric drive architectures requiring a gear-mounted solution.
For full electric drive ship propulsion systems, Leonardo DRS PM motors provide a number of advantages including significant torque density. Our 36.5 MW example is a 50,000 HP machine that is approximately 17 feet square at just over 125 tons and produces more than two million ft. lbs. of torque!
Selected to provide hybrid electric drive propulsion for the U.S. Coast Guard Offshore Patrol Cutter program, the power-dense, water-cooled PA44 is only 395 lbs. and rated up to 625 HP providing 1,100 ft-lbs. @ 3000 RPM.
Hybrid Electric Drive Gear or Shaft-Mounted Arrangements
Lower noise signature than gear-mounted motor.
Compact arrangement with high shock capability.
Presented by: Navy League of the United States
Presented by: GovExec TV