Safe and Environmentally Friendly Fire Suppression
The Water Mist Fire Fighting Pump (WMFFP) system is a high pressure on-board pumping system used in conjunction with specially designed spray nozzles to extinguish shipboard fires.
The Water Mist system is the U.S. Navy’s next generation fire fighting system. It is being used on the LPD 17 San Antonio Class Amphibious Transport Ships, the LHD 8 Makin Island Amphibious Assault Ship, the LHA 6 America Class Amphibious Assault ships and the DDG 1000 Zumwalt Class Multi-Mission Surface Combatants.
The enhanced capabilities of the Leonardo DRS' Water Mist Fire Fighting Pumps make them a key element in the 21st Century Naval Fleet.
- The nozzles create a backpressure of up to 1,250 psi at a flow rate up to 400 GPM.
- The system’s design creates small droplets of water which are very effective at absorbing heat.
- The fire is extinguished mainly from cooling, and oxygen is displaced by the resulting water vapor rather than saturating the area.
- The Water Mist System is designed to replace dangerous and environmentally damaging Halon Fire Suppression Systems.
- On-board potable water is used to minimize damage to shipboard equipment.
- WMFFP is qualified to Military Standard (MIL-STD) 901D for heavy weight shock and MIL-STD-167 vibration requirements.
Download the data sheet