Next Generation Tactical Computing for Mission Command
Leonardo DRS is proud to be selected as the sole source provider of mission command computing and display systems for the U.S. Army.
The Mounted Family of Computer Systems (MFoCS) II represents the most advanced generation of military vehicle mounted computers and displays ever engineered. MFoCS II embodies the knowledge and experience gained through nearly 20 years of Mission Command and Battle Management Combat Experience with the U.S. Army Force XXI Battle Command Brigade and Below (FBCB2), Joint Battle Command-Platform (JBC-P), Blue force tracking (BFT), Movement Tracking System (MTS) Logistics, and UK Army Bowman programs.
MFoCS II deftly executes the software necessary for a range of applications — Command and Control, Maneuver, Logistics, and Situational Awareness. In addition, it can run multiple software packages simultaneously at full speed, and is engineered to accommodate future software demands.
MFoCS II signifies an improvement in system integration and display of current on-board sensors, such as Driver’s Vision Enhancer (DVE), 360-degree situational awareness cameras, gunshot detection systems; Forward Looking Infrared (FLIR) sights; Vehicle Health Management System (VHMS); Chemical, Biological, Radiological, and Nuclear (CBRN) sensors; and more. When it comes to communications, the MFoCS II hardware infrastructure is also fully capable of managing control of combat net radios, routing of data between terrestrial and SATCOM radios and cross-banding between two different networks.
- MFoCS II improves Situational Awareness (SA), Command and Control (C2), maneuverability, and logistics of a range of military platforms and weapons systems, from ground vehicles to rotary-wing aircraft and more.
- MFoCS II will be the common computing hardware for the Mounted Computing Environment (MCE). It is designed to facilitate rapid development of new capabilities, enhanced interoperability, security, and more.
- MFoCS II is backward compatible with fielded Mission Command capabilities. It integrates existing FBCB2 and JBC-P capabilities into a powerful, modular, and flexible hardware architecture.
Enabling Army Network Modernization
MFoCS II is a common computing solution that consolidates the requirements from a range of programs and military computing users.
MFoCS II includes new technologies such as the Intel® Xeon Quad Core Processor, expanded memory, greater storage, and enhanced Information Assurance (IA). These enhancements provide significantly improved processing capacity and efficiency to run next generation software applications such as Joint Battle Command – Platform (JBC-P), Forward Observer System (FOS), and the Tactical Ground Reporting (TiGR) System.
- Highly Secure – MFoCS II has a trusted computing architecture that enables multi-domain security operations by separated enclaves – which translates into the lowest security risk.
- Interoperability – MFoCS II enables Common Computing Environment (CCE) / Common Operating Environment (COE) for enhanced interoperability with other domains and COE environments. It also facilitates JIIM & Coalition accessibility.
- Multiple Workstations – MFoCS II incorporates multiple workstations tailorable to the mission and vehicle, and facilitates rapid decision-making via simultaneous viewing of all integrated data.
- Software Flexibility – MFoCS II operates multiple mission command applications, such as JCR, JBC-P and FOS. It also has the capacity and compute power to easily manage future Mission Command and MCE applications.
- Tactical Logistics – Integration of Tactical Logistics Services and Functions onto common POR MFoCS II hardware
- Versatile – MFoCS II has the capability to host Embedded Training applications (Virtual, Gaming, Constructive, Live) and, because it’s modular, there is only one set of hardware to train.
Next Generation Tactical Computing for Mission Command
MFoCS II is a highly modular system, allowing added hardware as functionality and processing power needs increase. And all components are ruggedized and designed to operate in extreme environments.
TABLET COMPUTER – Rugged Portability
Individually known as the Multi-Function Rugged Tablet (MRT104) II – this ruggedized, dismountable Tablet features an Intel® Core™ i7 processor, and a 10.4″ XGA bonded resistive multi-touch touch screen display and two internal hard drive bays. It can be tethered to and dismounted from the docking station. An optional MFoCS II keyboard can be attached to the Tablet. The Tablet also offers a Capability Upgrade Bay (CUB) to support future capability and interface expansion. Two hot-swappable Li-Ion batteries enable untethered operation of the Tablet away from the vehicle. A standard option for the MFoCS II Tablet is integration of a SAASM GPS module and bezel antenna.
PROCESSOR UNIT – Power and Throughput
The MFoCS II Processor Unit (PU) features a powerful Intel® Xeon Quad Core Processor in a ruggedized, highly compact form factor. It can be paired with a mounted Display Unit or use the Basic MFoCS II Tablet as a dismounted display. It features two internal solid-state hard drive bays capable of supporting hard disk or solid-state hard drives. Similar to the other MFoCS II LRUs, the PU includes a Capability Upgrade Bay (CUB) to support future capability and interface expansion. A standard option for the PU is integration of a SAASM GPS module for precision time and position location. This unit can be procured separately under the name Data Distribution Unit – Expandable (DDUx) II.
DOCKING STATION – Mounted Functionality
The purpose of the MFoCS II Dock is to provide a tetherable environment for the MFoCS II Tablet, as well as expansion and Input/Output interface options such as LAN, USB, COM, RS-170, Video, Audio, Power and more. It offers a built in Capability Upgrade Bay (CUB) for expansion and additional technologies, optional embedded RFID and optional wireless. It is compatible with legacy JV-5 install kits and cabling for easy upgrades.
DISPLAY OPTIONS – Situation Visualized
There are three display options in the MFoCS II family — 12.1″ multi-touch XGA 1024×768, 15″ multi-touch XGA 1024×768, and 17″ SXGA 1280×1024. The 12″ model supports a LVDS interface, while the 15″ and 17″ models support both LVDS and Display Port interfaces. All three have built-in audio, additional USB ports, and a bonded display assembly integrated with both EMI protection and resistive touch screens. Ruggedized, sealed and immersible, they are qualified for wheeled and tracked military vehicles. Separately, these are known as the Multi-Function Rugged Displays (MRD) II.
KEYBOARD – Rugged Interface
The MFoCS II keyboard is a full 86-key QWERTY keyboard that is environmentally sealed against dirt, dust, and moisture. It features a mouse-like, one-button pointing device as well as an additional USB port for peripheral add-ons.
Logical Evolution that Began With FBCB2
Empowering the Tactical Edge — Today’s MFoCS II program has evolved to leverage nearly 20 years of mission command and battle management combat experience.